Medical Office Assistant – Ref #2023-045
The Medical Office Assistant is responsible for performing a variety of administrative duties to Physicians and Northern Clinic services.
The Medical Office Assistant is directly accountable to the Medical Office Manager.
The wage for this position starts at $28.614 – $34.837/hour.
Persons of First Nations ancestry will be given preference (s.16 (1)CHRA)
Applicants must possess:
- Diploma or certificate in Medical Office Administration or equivalent;
- Previous experience (minimum 1- 2 years) in a Medical Office
- Proficient with medical terminology
- Proficient keyboarding skills
- Proficient computer skills; Microsoft Office
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Previous experience working within an electronic medical record
- Strong knowledge of medical office practices and procedures
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical and clinic staff and the general public
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work in an office environment where work tasks for the day are multiple, interruptive, and priority changing
- Superior time management and organizational skills; very detail orientated
- Must have experience and understanding of Native culture, and the geographic realities and social conditions within remote First Nation communities
- Must be willing to relocate and/or live in Sioux Lookout
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide day to day medical office administrative support to Physicians, other health professionals, residents/leaners and administrative staff
- Provide Orientation for new locum physicians and learners
- Answer and efficiently/effectively administer all phone calls from Nursing Stations, Specialty Clinics, Patients and any other Health Care Services/Agencies
- Make all appropriate outgoing calls to nursing stations, physicians, specialty clinics, patients, pharmacies, outside services and agencies.
- Data enter and maintain current health records within the Electronic Medical Record (EMR)
- Assist/Complete any inquiry from within the circle of care
- Processing referral letters, which would include formatting, editing, editing for spelling and grammar, conciseness and accuracy, sending and follow up
- Referral tracking
- Set up patient appointment dates and times as needed
- Electronic filing and management of patient charts
- Contribute to the creation and maintain of office policies and procedures.
- Ongoing office duties ie. Faxing, shredding, filing, mail, office supplies, etc.
- Maintaining strict patient confidentiality and adhere to policies and procedures in regard to the Privacy Act
- Act as liaison for OSCAR EMR design and Meditech
- Assist to navigate the complex health service delivery in Northern Ontario and the issues as they relate to First Nations health
- Any other duties assigned
SLFNHA currently “Strongly Recommends” COVID-19 immunizations and requests your immunization status to be sent to our staff health department if successful in the recruitment process.