Baby Teeth Talk Study
Are you pregnant and a First Nations woman in one of the Sioux Lookout zone communities? If so, please contact us to find out about this study and to see if you live in one of the 14 eligible communities. We want to talk to pregnant women about their teeth and the teeth of their children!
If you participate in this study you will receive:
- A dental check-up and basic dental care for you that may include teeth cleaning, fillings and/or extractions at the time of the check-up
- $50 (and other bonuses, such as free diapers) each time you fill out as questionnaire or when you attend our oral health information sessions (maximum $200)
- Fluoride varnish treatments for your baby
- Dental check-ups for your child at ages 2 and 3
What can you do before your baby arrives?
- Have a check-up at the dentist. Dental care during pregnancy is completely safe.
- Keep your mouth clean. Brush twice a day using a fluoride toothpaste. Brush at night after your last meal and in the morning after breakfast.
- Floss daily to clean between your teeth and gums
- Eat health, nutritious food. You need calcium to build your baby's teeth and bones. Good sources of calcium are low-fat or fat-free milk, yogurt and hard cheeses (like cheddar).
Why are Mom's teeth so important for her baby?
- When mom has lots of tooth decay and bleeding gums, her baby has more chances of tooth decay
- Mom can pass on the tooth decay bug from her mouth to the baby's mouth by chewing or tasting food and then giving it to her baby
- Healthy teeth and gums help mom eat well and be healthy
- When mom is healthy, her baby has a better chance of being healthy
What Can I Do To Prevent Tooth Decay?
- Dental care for moms-to-be during pregnancy
- Fluoride varnish applications to children's teeth
- Motivational interviewing (conversations to help mom look after her teeth and her baby's teeth
- Anticipatory guidance (information about taking care of the baby's teeth, which mom receives as her baby grows)
For more information about this study, please Contact Us.