Health Promoter-Preventing Infectious Diseases
Mar 31, 2017 by 4:30 PM CDT
Location: Sioux Lookout,ON
Commitment: Full Time
The Health Promoter-Preventing Infectious Diseases is responsible for facilitating the delivery of health promotion programming to support the prevention of infectious diseases in First Nations individuals and communities supported by Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority.
- College diploma or university in a health related field.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a First Nations health setting
- Excellent communication skills in both oral and written form, she/he will also possess excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to speak in one of the Sioux Lookout area First Nations dialects, and or/or write in syllabics definite assets.
- Strong organizational and facilitation skills.
- Keyboarding skills and experience with Microsoft Word and other technical equipment.
- Knowledge of the culture, history, geographical location and health priorities of the First Nations people in the Sioux Lookout region.
- Work with communities to identify and monitor community priorities around Preventing Infectious Diseases.
- Work with communities to identify barriers to behavior change and work with them to identify solutions, develop enhanced approaches, and create supportive environments to support behavior change in communities to prevent infectious diseases.
- In collaboration with the other Preventing Infectious Diseases staff, develop, implement, monitor, and support the evaluation of a regional strategy for Preventing Infectious Diseases health promotion.
- Ensures that this program incorporates community feedback into future regional and community based programs and initiatives.
- Support and enable communities to develop and implement their own health promotion strategy/approaches to preventing infectious diseases.
- Identify, develop, and support community capacity through training and mentorship needs of community-based staff and through the support of community action to prevent infectious diseases.
- Work with policy analysts and communities to develop and support healthy policies to prevent acquiring and transmitting infectious diseases.
- Work with other Preventing Infectious Diseases staff to develop culturally appropriate education material and health promotion campaigns.
- In collaboration with the Preventing Infectious Diseases team, provide education and health promotion on infectious diseases to Chiefs and Councils, Health Directors, community based nurses, community-based health workers, community members, cases and their contacts through community visits, radio shows, local newsletters, school programs, community workshops, webinars, videoconferences, social media, etc.
- Identify and develop potential partnerships for regional and community-based preventing infectious diseases programming.
- Develop and share best practices for preventing infectious diseases health promotion and education.
- Maintain a good working relationship with community based and off reserve health staff.
- Provide expert advice, technical consultation and continuing education to SLFNHA staff, key stakeholders, and communities relating to preventing infectious disease health promotion.
- Use health promotion expertise and experience to advocate for communities and the Sioux Lookout area to prevent infectious diseases
- Represent SLFNHA and Approaches to Community Wellbeing on related working groups or committees, as needed.
- Provide assistance when required and any other duties assigned.